Thursday, December 8, 2011

Uruguay

After being hostel bound for the last few days I was happy to leave the promised land. I promise to return to BA one day but for now I was happy to board the ferry to Uruguay..destination Punta Del Este. One confiscated penknife later we were all abroad and setting sail. We docked in Colonia..and old town we'd been told was beautiful and a must see. Seen as it was on route anyway we stayed one night to have a look. We met an english couple in their late fifties from Nottingham who were backpacking too. Walking around town was quiet. It was an old town that had a small lighthouse which was the number 2 top thing to go see. That kind of sums up Colonia really! I ate my first meal for a few days of boiled rice and soy which made me feel perkier and mike had the worlds weirdest salad combination ever, but things started to look up when we had drinks in 'The Drug Store' bar (and the first place that had pepper on the table) before heading back to freshen up at the hostel where things plummeted again when we met Jesus. A Texan freak who preached at Rich and I about him getting messages from god for a good 40mins. We escaped our for tea at 10pm finally getting in the swing of South Americas eating habits, to find just one restaurant still open.

The next day we bus to the capital Montevideo. Our funkiest hostel right on the central high street decorated with retro furniture and huge murals on the giant walls. We wander out for some food and to look round the old town, grabbing a bite to eat in the main square first. This was also the day i found my ring. We hadn't looked anywhere and had briefly said we'd buy in New York when we got back, but as we sat in the square I went for a quick wander while the food came. It spotted a jewellers - the first jewellers I've looked at or even noticed this trip, then before I knew it i was pressing the bell to go inside, asking to look at their rings. A lady brought out a tray and I instantly spotted it. Next thing I know I'm going back to the square and telling mike I'd seen a ring. I could tell from the three faces looking back at me their thinking 'here we go' but they humour me anyway to come see. (I think I was too giddy for their curiosity) Mike and I went off followed shorty by Nik and Rich for a quick peek. In we go to the lovely little jewellers, the lady and I were both giddy awaiting Mikes reaction. He loved it too and was grinning from ear to ear. It felt a bit spontaneous to buy the first ring I saw but it seemed to pick me instead of the other way round. It needed resizing so we arranged to pick it up later that day while the technician got to work. Nikki and Rich returned from a wander just as we left the store. Pleased as punch we headed for the old town.

It was a lovely city with a long pier we had a wander down. Nikki got herself into a mood (she still doesn't know what it was about) so we split up again for her to have a leg and armpit waxing session that actually doubled up as therapy to snap her back to earth. Mike and I went to collect my beautiful little piece of bling, and all was good again.

That night we went for a steak house recommended by our 50+ Colonia friends and ended the night in a roudy Irish bar next to our hostel with a brilliant live double act blaring out some golden oldies. (Drewski you would have been proud!) A great end to an ace day!

Next we headed to our main destination in Uruguay. Championed by me I was hoping it would live up to the reputation id given it. We took an overpriced taxi to our hostel and meet Rodrigo, the long blonde surf dude with an attitude, and his lovely chilled wife Alejandro. It was basically their house with a anex in their garden with 5/6 rooms they rented out. Nikki and Rich paid a bit more for the luxury double with a balcony and TV, Mike and I in the cheap twin. Mike and Rodders off to a bad start when he told him he had the same mouth as John Travolta (which was a spot on observation) so we quickly left and headed straight to the beach which was our best so far. The boys keen to get surfing this was the first thing we did the next morning with Rodders taking them on a lesson. Rod picking Rich as his pupil, while Mike was given to Rods mate to be taught the ropes. Mike managed to get up first time and Rich followed a few waves later. They both managed a few more stand ups before they were washed up on the beach exhausted. Mike feeling sick from the sea salt and Nikkis burnt legs meant a few hrs later it was time to head back to our guest house (don't call it a hostel or you'll upset Rodrigo) and opted in for the BBQ Rodders was cooking. It turned out to be the best meat they had eaten so far this trip, making me who opted out due to delicate tummy still feel food envy. The next day was a similar pattern but this time we rented bikes to a further secluded beach followed by a second night of Rodders BBQ which this time I opted in for. It didn't disappoint, though despite Mikes many olive branch him and Rod still didn't bond.

We left with a pack up each of fruit for our next big bus journey to Brazil. Punta del Este didn't disappoint and our tans are now well underway.

Lots of love to all at home!!
C xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment